Invasive Slugs

Module 3 – Reporting and Identification Help

  • This module covers how to report slugs and snails


If you have found a slug or snail you think may be invasive, how can you report it? There are several options available. Below are directions for each, but make sure to gather some information first. At the very least record when and where you found the animal. How big was it? And if taking a picture, take lots. Different angles will help identify different species.

Mobile application: Alaska Invasive ID is a mobile app available for IOS and Android devices for free. This mobile application has identification information on many potential invasive gastropods as well as a report form. The reporting form will geo-reference your location even when you are out of cell phone service. Pictures are encouraged when using the app for reporting. These help us confirm identifications. Reports are stored in your queue until you choose to upload them. Reports are sent to UAF IPM team who forwards appropriate information on to land managers and/or databases.

Online: There are several ways to submit information online for someone to identify a suspected invasive gastropod.  Here are a few of the options that reach people with responsibilities statewide.

UAF Pest Reporter Web Portal: This site accepts images and queries about plants, insects, and diseases.  Reports may be submitted here as alerts to potential problematic species, or as simple queries of what is this, and if it is a pest or weed how do I manage it. Reports can accept images.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game: This site accepts reports for most taxa of invasive species and they are sent to the Invasive Species Coordinator with ADF&G. Simply select the tab for reporting an invasive species.

Phone: Dial 1-877-invasiv (the “e” is deliberately left off). This number takes you directly to the Invasive Species Program Coordinator with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game who will get the information to the appropriate local contact.  Alternatively, you can contact University of Alaska Fairbanks, Cooperative Extension Service (1-877-520-5211). Use the UAF CES 1-877 number to determine where to mail or drop off fresh specimens as they can direct you to the nearest office.

Continue on to Module 4